AFRICAN LEADERS' VISITS
USTDA and its interagency partners hosted two African Leaders' Visits to the United States, Jul. 30 - Aug. 1, 2014, as official events on the occasion of the U.S.-Africa Leaders Summit hosted by President Obama. The Visits were designed to share the United States' experience fostering economic growth through key infrastructure investments by highlighting U.S. expertise in transportation and energy.
As the only events to take African delegates to major U.S. cities outside of Washington, DC on the occasion of President Obama's U.S.-Africa Leaders Summit, the African Leaders' Visits were featured on the White House blog.
Click here to vew a social media recap of the African Leaders' Visits
Press release: USTDA's Work Highlighted during U.S.-Africa Leaders Summit
AFRICAN LEADERS' VISIT: TRANSPORT
USTDA Director Zak and U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony R. Foxx co-hosted the African Leaders' Visit: Transport for ministers who have recently announced plans for significant near-term expansions in both rail and aviation infrastructure. The Visit introduced delegates to policymakers, financiers, technical experts, and equipment and services suppliers from the U.S. aviation and rail sectors. Meetings and site visits showcased Chicago's position as a rail and aviation hub and offered participants a chance to see a confluence of advanced transportation infrastructure.
- His Excellency Amar Ghoul, Minister of Transport, Government of People's Democratic Republic of Algeria
- His Excellency Workneh Gebeyehu, Minister of Transport, Government of Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia
- His Excellency Sindiso Ngwenya, Secretary General, Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa
- Her Excellency Elizabeth Dipuo Peters, Minister of Transport, Republic of South Africa
- His Excellency Augusto da Silva Tomás, Minister of Transport, Republic of Angola
- His Excellency Senator Idris Audu Umar, Minister of Transport, Government of Federal Republic of Nigeria
Dates: July 30 – August 1, 2014
Location: Chicago, IL
Click here to view photos from the African Leaders' Visit: Transport event
AFRICAN LEADERS' VISIT: ENERGY
USTDA and U.S. Department of Energy co-hosted the African Leaders' Visit: Energy for ministers facing important decisions on how best to develop recent discoveries of significant natural gas reserves. The Visit showcased U.S. experience in developing its natural gas sector, as well as opportunities for strengthening partnerships with the United States as the countries harness their newly discovered resources and build critical supporting infrastructure. It also emphasized the need for good governance and transparency to ensure a sound marketplace. Site visits near Houston, TX showcased gas infrastructure installations and pipeline architecture.
- His Excellency Davis Chirchir, Cabinet Secretary for Energy and Petroleum, Republic of Kenya
- The Honorable Governor Josphat Nanok, Turkana County, Republic of Kenya
- His Excellency Prof. Sospeter Muhongo, Minister of Energy and Minerals, United Republic of Tanzania
Dates: July 30 – August 1, 2014
Location: Houston, TX
Click here to view photos from the African Leaders' Visit: Energy event