ARLINGTON, VA – The U.S. Trade and Development Agency announced today a call for initial proposals from project sponsors in sub-Saharan Africa or U.S. companies working with African project sponsors. These entities are invited to submit an initial concept paper (not to exceed five pages) on projects related to transportation to USTDA no later than Tuesday, October 2, 2018 at 12:00pm Eastern Time to be considered for funding.
The proposal should include a brief description of the project’s size and status, including project location, economic fundamentals, equipment and technology requirements, legal and regulatory considerations, and the purpose and amount of USTDA funding requested. The proposal should also outline the sponsor’s experience, potential options for financing the project, risks the project faces, and estimated potential for U.S. content in the project’s implementation.
Particular focus will be given to proposals involving:
- Rail and Aviation Infrastructure, Safety, and Security
- Locomotive and Airplane Capacity, Effectiveness, and Efficiency
USTDA accepts proposals to support infrastructure project development in low and middle-income countries throughout sub-Saharan Africa. Teams comprised of qualifying U.S. businesses and eligible African entities from the public or private sectors may submit proposals wherever the U.S. business meets USTDA’s nationality requirements. Eligible African entities who intend to engage a U.S. business but have not yet selected such a business may also submit proposals. If selected for funding, USTDA will assist these entities in identifying a U.S. business to conduct a mutually agreed-upon scope of work. Interested entities are welcome to use USTDA’s General Funding Request Guidelines for Transportation-related project proposals.
USTDA will employ the following criteria, among others, to evaluate proposals and make programming decisions:
- Potential for U.S. exports: USTDA’s goal is to create export opportunities for manufacturing enterprises in the United States. Proposals will be evaluated based in part on the potential that projects represent for U.S. manufacturers and service providers.
- Potential for financing and implementation: Proposals will be evaluated to determine the potential that projects have to eventually attract financing and, subsequently reach implementation. Offerors are expected to demonstrate how USTDA’s grant capital will attract public and private investment, and lead to new infrastructure capacity.
- Potential for development impact: USTDA strives to help communities build and integrate crucial transportation technologies, extend access to underserved customers, and drive public and private investment in the region’s transportation sector. Proposals will be evaluated based on the potential those projects represent for increasing capacity, accessing new customers, and/or driving investment.
- Strength of the offeror: USTDA will consider the credentials of the host country project sponsor and, where applicable, the expertise of the U.S. firm.
Prospective offerors may pose questions to USTDA at the following address: email@example.com. Five-page proposals which are responsive to the evaluation criteria may be submitted to this address no later than Tuesday, October 2, 2018 at 12:00pm Eastern Time.